Literacy Volunteers Core Values
We affirm the following as guiding principles for everything we do:
- Literacy is a civil right, the foundation of democracy.
- There is no substitute for the caring heart of a volunteer.
- Everyone has the right to access lifelong learning opportunities.
- Barriers are challenges to be eliminated.
- We believe in readiness instead of compliance.
- There is no such thing as an average learner, and there is no such thing as the best way to learn.
- We seek to change the direction of their lives without judgment, not to change their lives.
- We are providing opportunities for lifelong learning, not remedial education.
- Adults expect and deserve individualized, personalized education.
- Mistakes are opportunities to learn.
- The adult learning process is a teacher/learner partnership and relationship.
- The process begins by starting where the adult learner is.